Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sushi and Bubbly! FujiMar Opening

A week earlier, I received an email from my mentor, Amy Riolo, inviting me to a grand restaurant opening. As she is away for the month, she told me to go in her place. I was allowed one guest. My friend Casey Merrick and I had plans to stop at Schneider's of Capitol Hill. The Italian couple that I'd worked with earlier in the week, Anontello and Laura, were hosting a tasting of wine from Puglia and I wanted to stop by and see them before the main event of the night. 

We arrived at Schneiders, where we tasted delicious wine and excellent home-made foccacia. Plus I got to see Laura and Antonello one more time, so that made it even better!

Next we went directly to 1401 K Street, NW. We hopped out and were greeted by this scene:
The front of the restaurant was set up with tents, bright lights, tables and couches, and portable heating units. 

We walked up to the entrance and were greeted by a very good-looking pair of men. They asked for my name and a little tiny voice in my head told me "they know you don't belong here!-this is when you get caught." Behold- my name was on the list! They removed the velvet rope and we were in! The excitement and anticipation swam through my body as the scantily clad young ladies opened the door to reveal FujiMar to us.

We walked in, clearly on the earlier side as there were only a few people sitting at tables, chatting and enjoying a drink. I looked over at the closest table and locked eyes with a women who seemed vaguely familiar. That always happens to me when I go out- I think I see someone that I know and I make a fool of myself by asking "do I look familiar?"

But this time was an exception- I did in fact know this woman. She had booked the t.v. spot on USA9 News Now that I had assisted with only two days earlier. Janet Terry is her name, and Casey and I decided to sit down her and her friend.

It took quite a few minutes to get one of the waiters over to our table, and they were not very savvy to what was going on. I asked them what was on the complimentary wine list, and they had to check with the bar twice to give us an answer. We decided on a glass of Prosecco and clinked glasses in celebration of a fun night.
                                   

At 7:00, we were told to ascend the steps to the restaurant. We walked around for a few minutes, taking pictures and soaking in the beautiful atmosphere. Soon, servers were walking around, passing out appetizers and refilling our wine glasses with abandon.

Beef skewers, eel and scallop sushi, and shrimp skewers were a few of the highlights. The fish was so fresh, it tasted as though they had caught it only hours earlier.
Spicy Tuna Sushi with Roasted Jalapeno 

One of the dishes I could have done without, however, were the fish croquettes. And then there were the ground beef empanadas; all I could taste was the cilantro!

We spent the next hour or so walking around, introducing ourselves to people, tasting everything that came our way. I even met the owner, Masoud, who gave me his card and told me "this is not the food we serve. If you want to try our real menu, give me a call- I'll set you up." I intend to do just that!

The Back Lounge
One part of the restaurant that they had not yet set up for us was the sake bar. Hidden in a cute little corner, it was stocked with the largest variety of sake that I'd ever seen- but that's not saying much. I don't know why it wasn't being used that night. I would have liked to have some sake with my sushi!
Sake Bar
The Executive Chef, Raynold Medizabal, started walking around after a little while. I pulled him over in our direction and told him he had done a fabulous job. He was busy, clearly, but he managed to spend a few minutes with us as tell us a little about his inspirations. He later sought us out to let us taste some truffles he'd made. He was a very nice man. I gave him my card :)


 Raynold Medizabal and I

 
Saxophone Player and DJ Booth
One of the coolest aspects of the furniture and decor were these swinging chairs. We referred to them as "bubble chairs," and they were the most popular place in the restaurant. There were people literally waiting in lines to get in them and have a friend take a picture. We joined the fad.
Casey in the Bubble Chair!

There are so many things that I wish I could share with you all. It's just one of those things you'll have to experience on your own. I highly recommend FujiMar for a nice night out in DC. It's a block away from McPherson Square Metro Station so it's easy to access from anywhere in the DC/Metro area. The food is fab, the drinks were very unique, and the atmosphere is so alive and fresh.

For Reservations



1 comment:

  1. Hi, Diana. This is Olga from MangoTomato. See, I told you I'll check out your blog ;)

    What a great event! How lucky you got a chace to attend the opening in place of Amy. The food looks fantastic and I'd love a few of those bubble chairs in my living room.

    Say hi to Amy from me.

    ReplyDelete