Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Study of José Andrés- Part One: Overview

Having lived in the metro area of DC my whole life, I've been accustomed to seeing great restaurants come and go. Since I've only very recently discovered my "foody" passion, I have yet to experience a lot of them first hand. Growing up in Bethesda, I watched my hometown turn into a restaurant-Mecca of sorts with bug names such as Mussel Bar's Chef Robert Wiedmaier,  Chef Tony's (formerly Visions) Chef Tony Marciante, and of course, Jaleo's Chef José Andrés. My chef instructor, Susan Callahan, has told me on numerous occasions that she would gladly run away with José Andrés. Thats a bold statement. I'd like to know more about this man. 


Luckily I live within metro-distance of most of his restaurants (the others are in Las Vegas). So I decided to do my own impromptu study of him; researching his life, going to each of his restaurants, tasting and experiencing his cuisine. This is going to be a 5-part post. I can't promise promptness, but I can assure you all that I will eat as much as my student-limited budget will allow and bring you all the details I can on each restaurant; from atmosphere and service to food and drink. 
Through what I have found on the internet, here is a brief overview of the restaurants that I will be reviewing (in my own unique way) one at a time:


  • minibar by José Andrés 
  • America Eats 
    • 405 8th St NW Washington DC 20004
    • This restaurant serves traditional American dishes 
    • Works in conjunction with the Foundation for the National Archives in the former Cafe Atlantico space.
    • Named after the Works Progress Administration (WPA) writers project of the 1930s
    • A "casual tavern menu" is offered on the first floor, while a "more refined and elegant menu" (minibar)  is featured on the second and third.

  • Jaleo
    • 480 7th Street NW Washington, DC 20004
    • The restaurant serves traditional Spanish tapas. 
    • Jaleo has four locations, in Washington, D.C.; Bethesda, Maryland; Arlington, Virginia and at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas. 
    • "Jaleo" is named after a painting by John Singer Sargent.

  • Zaytinya 
    • 701 9th Street NW Washington, DC 20004
    • This restaurant serves mezze, known regionally as meze, maza or mezethes, small plates of food from the Mediterranean regions of Greece, Turkey, and Lebanon. 
    • The word Zaytinya means "olive oil" in Turkish. 
    • The restaurant is a short distance from the Verizon Center.
    • Since it's opening in 2003, Zaytinya has repeatedly ranked as a "Top D.C. Dining Destination" 
  • Oyamel 
    • 401 7th Street NW Washington, DC 20004
    • This location serves a variety of small plates and antojitos. 
    • It was originally located in Crystal City in Arlington, but reopened in Penn Quarter in February 2007. 
    • Andrés consulted Mexican food expert extraordinaire Diana Kennedy (one of my personal favorite references for Mexican cooking) while developing the menu for Oyamel.

So now I will go on my Chef José Andrés-inspired adventure. Stay tuned for fun-filled reviews of each and every one of these restaurants (and more) in the coming weeks. And please let me know if you have suggestions, comments, or advice. From one foody to another. Eat well!!!


**Please be aware, I am in no way an expert on anything that I write about. I'm just a young woman who loves food and wants to learn more about everything**

1 comment:

  1. Made me laugh, I would run away with him! I wonder where we would go? What is the first meal we would cook together......

    ReplyDelete