Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Media Training at "Cook!"

Today I drove to Ashburn, VA to meet up with Amy Riolo. Every two months or so she goes to a place called Cook and shoots video segments for various publications. Cook is a  "home-grown recreational cooking school geared specifically to provide practical instruction and guidance on food, nutrition and basic culinary techniques to everyday folks..."   It is a big, beautiful kitchen with equipment galore! When I got there, Amy and two others, Matt and Christine, had already set up the lighting and cameras.  

For today's taping, Amy was doing 8 recipes:
          Shrimp, Cucumber and Boursin Tartines
White Gazpacho "Mock-Tails"
Moroccan Style Tilapia with Chermoula Sauce
Chickpea, Tomato, and Tahini Salad
Orzo with Asparagus and Artichokes
Rose and Mint Infused Fruit Salad 
Strawberry Mascarpone Parfaits
Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
"Mis en Place" - Everything in it's Place
Matt, the director, doing sound checks

Since they had already been there an hour or so by the time I arrived, prepping the ingredients and setting up, I sat back and watched them tape the first few segments. 

It was an interesting experience for me as I'd never been at a cooking demo shoot before. It really made me appreciate the tedious nature of the process....


The constant repetition needed to enunciate and pronounce every word, getting the lighting just right,  and the importance of silence on the set (I had a hard time with that one!)

The camera doesn't intimidate Amy. She lights up with a passion, like she was meant to be there. It is very clear through her recipes that she appreciates a healthful, yet delicious, diet. 

I had to leave a little early. I'm not yet used to traveling to unknown places during rush hour, and I wanted to give myself enough time to get home. Before I left, I got to taste some scrumptious creations.

Moroccan Style Tilapia with Chermoula* Sauce
Shrimp, Cucumber, and Boursin Tartines
I won't go into detail about the recipes; that's Amy's domain. If you are interested in seeing these demos (and more) be sure to check out her videos on MonkeySee. Just put the name "Amy Riolo" into the search box. There are so many wonderfully done demos-this woman has been busy! 
----------------------------
*Chermoula Sauce:
Chermoula is a Moroccan marinade, traditionally used with fish. It is known to be pungent and "herby". Amy's recipe calls for chopped parsley, minced garlic cloves, sea salt, paprika, and lemon juice. She spoons it on top of each tilapia filet prior to putting them in the oven. Traditional chermoula sauces vary; some have onions, some use fresh coriander (cilantro), or even saffron. 

No comments:

Post a Comment